Betteshanger Colliery
This archive is part of Commanet, the community archive network.
Commanet is a registered charity that helps communities to set up and develop local archives using specially designed Commanet software.
Standing on the top of a hill between Deal and Sandwich in the Dover area, Betteshanger Colliery was first opened in 1921. The colliery took its name from the nearby village of Betteshanger.
A small pit village grew up around the colliery buildings to house some of the workers, but the bulk of the miners were housed in a large new estate on the south side of Deal. The colliery closed in 1989 – the site is now overgrown and a haven for wildlife.
This archive entry was last updated on 14/05/2018. Information incorrect or out-of-date?